The People of Orissa

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Orissa? Isn’t it just Temples? Don't know about you but I had that thought until I visited this beautiful state. 

The first thing you should know about the state are the people. They are welcoming, down-to- earth, simple and selfless.  I had several incidents to assert this statement. Will be sharing all those stories with you in a short time. So grab a cup of coffee as it’s gonna be lengthy.
Happy reading!!!!

Incident 1: Down-pouring all of a sudden. Pitch dark. On a two wheeler in the middle of the city. No umbrella or raincoats. No shelters on the way to stop. A man out of the blue has come towards our bike and handed me polythenes to protect my head from the rain!!!! And inquired whether it is fine!!!!! Such a humanity to help a complete stranger!!

Incident 2: Went to a place called Dhauli hills located at the premises of the city by Ola cabs. After exploring, to return to our hotel we couldn’t find any options for transport than cabs but it is almost 10 kms away from city. We booked an Ola cab with doubt as the driver has to drive extra 10 kms just to pick us but the driver responded immediately and came for us at a nominal price. This would never happen in Hyderabad!!!!!!
Near Dhauli Hills!!!
Incident 3: It was a tough day exploring and driving since morning. Took a break at a roadside tea stall. The owner/cook welcomed us with a warm smile and had offered some snacks and tea. After finishing my tea, I felt to have one cup but lazy to ask. But he read my mind and inquired if I need one more cup. I felt wow!!!!Simple incidents but still touches our heart. 
The Hotel. This is about the man in cooking mode!!!

Aloo Pakoda and the best Ginger Tea!!!

Incident 4: A very old man around his 70’s requested us to be our guide at Konark Sun Temple. Though I refused him in the beginning as I don’t want to trouble him but later agreed. Despite his age, the man was hyper active, had good sense of humor, even faster than us in exploring the ruins, and he even knows where to capture good pictures and he had captured beautiful pictures of us even with out asking. Respect the man and the age and his dedication towards work!!!!! Though I am sad as I couldn’t capture him in my lens. 
At Konark Sun Temple captured by our guid.
I can say, the people in Orissa are strong and hardworking as-well. I had seen many women and men  even at late 80s carrying sticks or doing some work or the other in the country side.
Incident 5: 
Meet this man, Ganesh from Chilka Lake. 
Husband having fun with Mr Ganesh!!!

A government boat driver aka helmsman at Chilka lake. We went for 'dolphin’s watching' with him. He waited patiently to show us the dolphins. Like a guide, he explained about the livelihood of Chilka and many more. For almost an hour, he entertained us with his stories with no gain!!! 

All these incidents are like cherry on the cake to have a foolproof trip.

To experience these kindhearted, simple yet happy going people, do visit Orissa!!!! 

Comments

  1. Nothing much special i felt in this compared to your other stories. Hope the stuff should be some more interesting for the regular readers like me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chennai Beach

Weekend Indulgence at ITC Maratha

My first ever accident

Hampi Dairies

The colourful state of India- Rajasthan

Explore the Unexplored- Adinimmaya Palle Reservoir!!!!!

A night walk around Charminar during Ramzan

A well spent day at Physical Literacy Days, Hyderabad

A luxurious and relaxed weekend in Mumbai during summer